According to a U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (SAMHSA) substance use survey, conducted for 2006 and 2007, Florida resident drug and alcohol use statistics show:
- Over 7% of people age 12 and older used illict drugs including marijuana, cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens, inhalants, and non-medical use of prescription drugs in the month prior to the survey.
- About 10% of teenagers aged 12 to 17 years used illict drugs including marijuana, cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens, inhalants, and non-medical use of prescription drugs in the month prior to the survey.
- Over 22% of people 12 years of age or older participated binge drinking, which is defined as drinking 5 or more drinks on the same occasion, on at least 1 day in the past 30 days.
- And of teenage drinkers age 12-17 about 10% are binge drinkers.
The Office of National Drug Contol Policy indicated the following, in reference to a profile of drug indicators within the State of Florida:
- In 2007 – 155,246 adults and 14, 114 juveniles were arrested on drug charges
- In 2007 – 58,358 adults and 466 juveniles were arrested for driving under the influence
- Cocaine is the primary drug threat in Florida, which is available in quantities from a gram to a kilogram.
- The majority of the heroin entering Florida is destined for other states along the East Coast, as Florida doesn’t have a significant heroin problem.
- Methamphetamine use is widespread and significantly impacts over 67 counties.
- Prescription drug abuse has had an unprecedented increase. Medical examiners report that 5 people DAILY die of prescription drug overdose.
- Pain Killer abuse of drugs such as Vicodin and oxycodone products such as OxyContin continue to be a serious problem for Florida.
Florida is well known for their drug rehabilitation treatment facilities. Whether you are a Florida resident or not, you may wish to consider some of these Florida drug rehabs:
- Panama City – Chemical Addictions Recovery Effort – Specializes in substance abuse treatment and a halfway house – Non-hospital residential care (24 hours) – Fees are based on a sliding scale
- Jacksonville – Jacksonville Gateway Community Services Inc- Primary focus is substance abuse treatment – Outpatient or day treatment available – Offers American Sign Language for hearing impaired
- Miami – VA Substance Abuse Center – Substance abuse, Methadone, LAAM maintenance and detoxification – Special programs for persons with co-occuring mental and substance abuse disorders and persons with HIV/AIDS, DUI/DWI offenders – Private health insurance and military insurance accepted (e.g., VA, Tricare)
CLICK HERE for many other Florida rehab options.